Awkward Ingrowns and other skin problems

Hey all, so I’ve been having problems recently with ingrown hairs/pimples (?) in my pubic area. I’ve actually had this problem since I was like ten, I just have sensitive skin and a lot of hair, but it has kicked up with a ferocity lately. People say it is often because you shave too much, but I haven’t shaved in years because of this problem, and stopped getting waxed. Ironically, this seems to make things worse, as, when my hair gets really long, it’s kind of uncomfortable and hard to know what going on down there… I’m also a swimmer and some people have mentioned chlorine might be irritating it, but I’ve been swimming my whole life and get the spots even if I don’t swim. It really sucks and not quite sure how to address it. Let me know if you have any ideas!

1 Like

Hey @siren36 have you ever tried using a coffee scrub? Frank Body does a really nice one with peppermint, it cleared up my eczema and I also use it to exfoliate down there to shift stubborn ingrown hairs, you can get a small bag for like £7 I think.

1 Like

Hey @siren36 - I use tea tree oil for this kind of thing. And to be honest, keeping it tamed has helped me, but regular waxing is better for me than shaving. I know everyone is different though. Good luck! I know how it is, and it’s not the nicest x

1 Like

Hey @siren36 i know the feeling! I use to get them when I would shave and I found waxing helps reduce the ingrowns. I also use an anti bump spray I bought at Strip Wax bars that have helped - can’t remember the name but if you pop into their shops you should be able to find the range in there!

1 Like

Hey Everyone! I really appreciated you contributions and several of your tips helped! I ended up seeing a gynecologist finally, and she said it’s most likely HS (read here for more info) which makes sense given my chronic stomach inflammation problems. I’m getting in with a good dermatologist but I just wanted to say thanks, and don’t trust urgent care diagnoses from 10 years ago! This sh*t was definitely not ingrown hairs lol. Women’s health issues are so often seen as ‘normal’ or things we just have to live with as a part of our gendered life, when really they are things that male bodied people would get checked out.
Anyway, thanks y’all and always check in with yourself!

Thanks for the update @siren36, glad you sought expert advice and support. It is important to listen to our bodies, as we know our own body better than anyone else! Agree, it is important we regularly check in with ourselves :slight_smile: