Emergency pill affect periods?

I had to take the morning after pill a couple of weeks ago and it’s affected my period cycle. I took it when I was at my most fertile in my cycle and within the 24 hour window. My cycle is usually 28 days and my period was due over a week ago….im now on day 38 and still no period.

Has anyone else experience this?

1 Like

Hi @SophieG, I had this when I took the EC a good few years ago but not sure why it happened.
Paging @Dr.HANX_Co-founder for more info here please!

1 Like

Wondering if it’s common of if it’s just me :joy:

Hey @SophieG

Sorry to hear you’re having issues after taking the emergency contraceptive pill. This is common, but I would recommend a couple of things:

1. Take a pregnancy test to ensure you’re not pregnant. Depending on how soon you were able to take the morning after pill, and where you were in your menstrual cycle at the time of unprotected sex, you’re still at risk of pregnancy. Learn more about how the pills work here. I am not sure which type of pill you took (Levonogestrel or EllaOne), but the different types have different time windows and efficacy which is discussed in the above article :slight_smile:

2. Some irregular bleeding (known as spotting) can happen after you take the morning-after pill. It’s also normal for your period to be heavier or lighter, or earlier or later than usual after taking emergency contraception. Getting your period is a sign that you’re not pregnant.

It is likely your period will arrive in the coming days, but it can take a few months for your cycle to get back to normal after emergency contraception. The main thing to consider here is the risk of pregnancy.

Of course, if you have any more concerns or things do not improve, see your GP for a full history and examination.

Let us know how you get on.

Sarah x

Thanks for the advice, super helpful! Thankfully I got my period on Sunday although it is lighter than expected! I usually have heavier periods although since my COVID jabs my periods have been all levels of heavy and light so it’s hard to keep track!

I’m just glad I didn’t have to pick up a pregnancy test for all to see in the chemist…!!

1 Like

Glad to hear you’re ok Sophie. I had a similar experience a few months ago, and my period took 3 months to get back to normal. I had a really light period first, and was concerned I was pregnant - my GP told me to take a pregnancy test anyway as sometimes a v light bleed isn’t a true period. I would suggest you do a test to be on the safe side?? Good luck!!