Low mood once the contraceptive implant has run out - should I switch my birth control? Time to try hormone free?

Hi everyone!
I loved seeing HANX’s piece about periods and the vaccine so I thought this might be a good place to come to hear people thoughts and advice on my experience with hormonal birth control. I have had the contraceptive implant for years but it has run out and I need to get a new one - because of COVID its taken a while to get an appointment. I had also noticed that I’d had a low mood recently, and never had thought it could be this but after a quick google found out this can actually happen once it ‘runs out’! Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

I have an appointment to get a new one but I’m on the fence, I’ve had it for 5 years but I am thinking about going back to the pill, or maybe trying hormone free and going back to condoms.

Would love to hear anyones thoughts or experiences :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Anna, this is spookily close to my experience…

I had the implant and thanks to COVID lockdowns and admittedly procrastination on my part, got it taken out a couple of months ago - a good while after it expired. Full disclosure: I didn’t really get on with the implant as it really affected my mood, but I kept it for the sake of not having to remember to take a pill every day.

I definitely felt low moods afterwards, though I kinda put it down to pandemic times. I didn’t realise that it might be the effect of it running out! I’m now back on the pill and even though it’s a pain to remember it sometimes, my mood is brighter and I’m not experiencing extremes like I did with the implant.

Hope you’re doing ok - you’ve got this!

1 Like

Hi Emily,

Thanks so much for the reply! The more I talk to friends the more it seems like its just not the same solution for everyone. I’ve decided to take it out and take my time with a decision on what to use (or to go hormone free) next. My appointment isn’t for a few weeks but maybe I’ll let you know how it goes!

Would still love to hear anyone else’s experience on this too :slight_smile:

Hi Anna!

I’m new to HANX and was so relieved to find a condom brand that agreed with me as I have a long term partner but have avoided hormonal birth control since I was a teenager after bad experience. From personal experience I would really recommend trying to come off the hormones to see how it effects your body at least for a bit, then you can always go back to them. But I am not a doctor and also fully support C.H.O.I.C.E for women as the top priority :raised_hands: :raised_hands:

Good luck what ever you decide to do!

Good points, thanks for sharing