No period, negative pregnancy test

It has now been 8 weeks since my last period ended. This has also coincided with my husband and I deciding stop using condoms and try for a baby.

The issue is, I have taken 4 pregnancy tests and every single one has come back negative. So no period but also apparently no baby.

I’ve noticed over the last week or so an increase in discharge, thin and clear, it doesn’t smell, but almost enough that I’m now taking a spare pair of underwear with me to work.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what may be causing this? Or have had similar issues?

2 Likes

Hey Liz and welcome. I had the same for a while and personally it was a stress thing, not sure how you’re feeling rbut work was really getting to me and I didn’t realise how much this can affect your periods?

Good luck xxx

1 Like

Hey Liz,

Thanks for sharing, and hope you’re doing ok. This can be a very stressful time, so I hope you have some good support.

Pregnancy is by far the most common cause of a missed period, but there are many other medical and lifestyle reasons that can impact your menstrual cycle including stress, weight loss, and extreme exercising. If you were previously taking hormonal contraceptives (if you used hormones as well as condoms?), then it may take some time for your cycle to become regular again.

A pregnancy test comes up positive in most cases at week 4 or 5 after conception, so if you were pregnant with a regular cycle I would expect the test to show positive at 8 weeks since your last period.

Make sure you see a medical professional if you’re having any pain, dizziness, abnormal bleeding or are concerned at all.

Vaginal discharge is also common, and can be down to many reasons, including infections such as thrush or BV, as well as others. See you GP if this is abnormal for you.

I hope that helps a little? Often the best thing is to book a doctor appointment to be seen properly and get to the bottom of what is going on.

Keep us posted on your progress and good luck :slight_smile:

Sarah x

1 Like

Thanks so much for your response Sarah,

I’ve been off hormonal contraception for a couple of years now as I decided I’d had enough of changing my bodies hormone levels, but only stopped using condoms in February.

That’s good to know with regards to the timeline for tests to show as positive.

I have spoken to my GP and have an appointment booked.

1 Like