The coil and bleeding

Hello,
I am looking for some advice for anyone that uses the copper IUD. I have had this fitted now for almost a year as I have had reactions to hormonal contraceptives. I have been having regular periods which are usually very heavy and very painful. Since having the coil, my boyfriend has always pulled out until about two weeks ago when he ejaculated in me for the first time. Obviously I didn’t see this as an issue as I have the coil. Anyway, my period was due last Friday and I am equally getting as much pain but hardly any blood, I am barely spotting. Is this something I should be concerned about and visit my GP or has anyone else experienced this before and it just happens to be consequential.

Hi @elenaemilia1

Thanks for sharing, and sorry you’ve been having a few difficulties recently.

The IUD is a very effective form of contraceptive (over 99%) and can last from 5-10 years depending on which type you have. Although your boyfriend has been pulling out, this is not something that is necessary to prevent pregnancy, as the coil is effective on its own at doing this.

Many women have heavier periods with the copper coil, and this can be ongoing or last 3-6 months from initial fitting. The fact that you have been having regular periods (albeit heavy and painful) is quite normal. However, the change is your bleeding pattern is what is more surprising and worth getting checked out. There are many things that affect menstrual cycle, including stress and change in diet/ exercise, but I would see your GP to have a full history taken and they can get to the bottom of what might be causing the changes.

I hope it settles back to normal soon. Keep us posted!

Sarah x

I’ve had the copper IUD for 7 years and it’s been amazing. I do have heavy and painful periods but manageable. My periods are regular but might adjust by a day or two here and there which is completely natural. Perhaps if you don’t come onto your normal period at the time you expect to, it’s worth checking in with your GP for peace of mind and support.

1 Like

Hi, I am a researcher for a global health think-tank, Polygeia. My team and I are currently working on a research paper looking into ‘what constitutes a positive contraception experience’ as we wish to understand how people’s experiences of using contraception can be improved. During our online desk-based research I came across this post and comments and believe it can help us answer our research. The team at Polygeia have devised a comprehensive information and consent sheet which I am unable to attach in this post but would love to share with you all. All the data collected is entirely anonymous and therefore we would simply like to gain consent to analyse the experiences you shared online. Please feel free to contact me for further details. Best wishes

Hello, how would I go around contacting you?

Via email would be great. You can find me at polygeiaresearch@hotmail.com.

Best wishes